No SARS for me, thanks

I've struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life.I was sick regularly for years with a variety of respiratory illnesses: bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, pleurisy.

I've felt crackling in my lungs with every breath, that feeling like maybe your lungs just won't fill.

I always got worse before I got better with any colds.

I have not had consistent medical care living as an adult in the US, especially since having a child.


And you want me willingly infect myself and my child with a fucking SARS virus?

That is airborne and hangs around like smoke?

That has killed millions?

That has been spreading and mutating?

That we don't have effective treatments for?

That our government isn't even tracking?

That the vaccine isn't even working against because we acted as if it was magical and not a tool meant to be used with other tools?

Do you not see how ridiculous that is?

How your pressure for me to behave "normally" is cruel and harmful?


I don't want normal if it means getting SARS repeatedly.

I thought I was supposed to fight against the urge to self harm.

I thought I was supposed to protect my health so I can spend time with my child, watch him grow up.


This virus isn't a joke.

It isn't funny to those of us who are vulnerable. 

It isn't funny to folks with kids who are struggling post infection. 


You know kids aren't immune right? Even when they're vaccinated?

You know kids can get disabled and die from this virus?

So can you. So can your elders.


There are things you can do to make it safer for everyone. 

Wear a respirator in indoor public spaces, 

stay home when sick, 

test before gathering,

improve ventilation and filtration, 

spend more time outside and less time in crowds.


Your brunch isn't as important as your ability to breathe. Find a better way to do it. Stop consuming just because the corporations said it was ok.

We all deserve to breathe good air, to live good lives, to be cared for. None of this is radical.

Comments

Popular Posts